St. Anne's CE VC Primary School

Respect Responsibility Friendship Excellence

School Road, Oldland Common, BS30 6PH

01454 862500 Headteacher: Mr. Sean Quinn

Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEN & D)

 What St. Anne’s offers children with SEN & D

St. Anne’s SEND Information Report

1. How does the school know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

At St. Anne’s Primary School we know which children need extra help because staff meet regularly with each other and with the headteacher to discuss any concerns they have about the learning or well-being of individual children. The progress of all children is carefully monitored in order for us to highlight children who are not making expected progress. We are then able to plan appropriate support.

At times a child’s family may need some extra help and we, as a school, will do all we can to offer support. We have a Family Link Advisor who works closely with parents/carers. When appropriate, we can also organise other agencies to support, eg, the school nurse or the Educational Psychologist. Where more support is needed we can organise a team of people to support a child or their family (a SAF).
If you as a parent/carer have concerns about your child’s progress your first point of contact would be your child’s class teacher to discuss your concerns and plan next steps. This could result in further discussion with our SENCo or Headteacher.

2. How will school support my child/young person and how will it communicate to all staff that my child has special education needs or a disability and the support he or she will need?

Each class teacher is responsible for the progress of all the children in their class but there are times when many children need additional support to help them. This can occur at any time during their time at primary school. The support they receive will be dependent on their need and can be provided by different people such as Teaching Assistants or specialist services. For many children, a short amount of time with additional support will allow them to catch up with their peers but for others with special educational needs or disabilities, the extra support they receive will be needed for a longer period of time, or always. The class teacher is responsible for planning the additional support that the children in their class need and this is overseen by the SENCo and subject leaders.

The extra support your child receives will be explained to you through meetings. For children with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities parents/carers are invited in to discuss and review their child’s Individual Education Plan (IEP). These meetings take place termly.

3. How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s/young person’s needs?

All lessons are differentiated to meet the range of abilities in a class. This includes providing individualised learning opportunities for children with particular needs. This can include supporting your child on a one to one or small group basis with additional adults.
In addition to this we provide children with physical resources suitable for their needs including the use of computing resources. This makes all areas of the curriculum accessible to all children.
Furthermore, we run interventions to support every child’s needs. These are planned by the class teachers who use their expert knowledge of the children in their class to ensure they are effective.

4. How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s/young person’s learning?

Parents and carers are invited termly to a parent’s evenings to discuss their child’s progress with the class teacher. Additional meetings with class teachers or the SENCo can also be arranged. Every child has a home/school diary through which parent/carers can exchange information. Where appropriate, a teacher may also suggest having a communication book.

Parents of children with an IEP are invited to termly meetings to review the IEP, discuss progress and plan new targets. Parents of children with a statement will be invited to the annual review meeting and will be given the opportunity to provide a report which will be discussed at the meeting.
We encourage you to support your child by attending the meetings and workshops in Reception which provide you with ways of supporting your child at home. There are also year group meetings at the beginning of the year so that you can meet the new teacher and learn about the expectations for the coming year. Each term there is a topic letter outlining what your child will be learning.

5. What support will there be for my child’s/young person’s overall well-being?

At St. Anne’s we feel that supporting your child’s well-being is our most important job and it is implicit in all our teaching. We endeavour to make every child and family feel welcome. We believe the development and support of the whole child is vital to successful learning and progress.
We provide a clear, structured behaviour policy and anti-bullying policy, which are followed by the whole school. We have clear safeguarding procedures and policies and all staff have regular training. We identify children who are having problems with friendships and offer “circles of friends” and friendship groups to help. We provide extra support for those children who need it at playtimes and lunchtimes, to help them to join in with play.

We encourage the children to be as independent as possible within their limits. We have a Pupil Counsellor who is available to talk to any child and a Family Link advisor, who works to support whole families. Children with medical needs have an individual care plan, which is written together with parents/carers, outside agencies and school staff. An education welfare officer (EWO) works at our school to encourage good attendance and punctuality.

6. What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting/school/college and how do you all work together?

At times it may be necessary to consult with outside agencies to receive their more specialised expertise. The agencies used by the school include:
Educational Psychology
Behaviour Support

Speech and Language Therapy
Physical and Sensory Support Service (Hearing Impaired Service and Visually Impaired Service) Occupational Therapy
Child and Adolescent Mental Health (CAMHS)
Social Services
Inclusion Team

We also have a Family Link Adviser to support families.

7. What training has the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had or are they having?

The Headteacher is the Continuing Professional Development co-ordinator and ensures all staff have the skills they require for supporting pupils with their learning.
Skills audits are carried out and training is provided for individual members of staff or the whole staff when appropriate.

Medical training is undertaken to support pupils with medical care plans.

8. How will my child/young person be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

At St. Anne’s we believe in involvement of all children and we work hard to ensure any child with SEN & D can access the activities provided. This would be in line with their needs and Education Health Care Plans or IEPs already in place. Where an outdoor or out of school activity is planned a risk assessment would be carried out and any special requirements are taken into consideration and planned for. Where there is a physical disability or specific dietary or medical requirements these will be discussed in full with you and relevant provision will be put in place. If this is in the form of a residential trip a plan for the week’s activities will be discussed in order to ensure that your child can participate where appropriate. Where necessary an additional adult will be assigned to your child to support them with their specific needs.

9. How accessible is the school environment?

St. Anne’s is a single storey building and is fully accessible to all.
We have a disabled toilet which also has a shower and changing facility.
Our site manager is very quick to make changes to the site for children with a specific need when necessary.

10. How will the school prepare and support my child/young person to join the school, transfer to a new setting/school or for the next stage of education and life?

When a child with Special Educational Needs is joining our Reception class we will talk to staff from your child’s early years setting and visit your child there. We will also meet with you and when necessary, agencies already involved, to find out how we can best support and meet the needs of your child.

Reception staff also make home visits to children joining at the beginning of the year and provide each child with a booklet that has photographs of key staff and places.
For a child with Special Educational Needs who is joining St. Anne’s from another school, the class teacher will visit them in their previous school when possible. We will also request all records be passed on from the previous school. Again, we will meet with you to discuss how we can best meet the needs of your child.

At St. Anne’s we have good links with the local secondary schools and ensure supported transition for children leaving us at the end of Year 6. In Year 6, teachers prepare children for the transition to secondary school and secondary staff visit the school to talk about all children’s needs. Some children benefit from extra support over this transition to secondary school. These children will be supported by a mentor or individual needs assistant. This will include additional visits to the secondary school.
If your child has a statement of educational need the SENCo from the secondary school will be invited to the Annual Review meeting to begin the transition process.

11. How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s/young people’s special educational needs?

The school receives a Special Educational needs and disabilities (SEND) budget from the local
authority. The needs of all of the children in the school with special educational needs and disabilities are considered when spending this budget. Some children who have SEND also get Pupil Premium funding. The head teacher and SENCo review the spending every year to ensure it is used in the best way to support children with SEND. Needs in each year group are mapped out and the funding is matched to these. In a case where a child has complex needs we will make a case to the local authority requesting additional funding for this child, for example for a full time individual needs assistant.

12. How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

Teachers use formative and summative assessment to find the gaps in children’s learning. Decisions about support are made when a child is demonstrating that they are performing below age expected levels.
Pupil Progress meetings take place with the class teacher and the head where individual pupils are discussed and support strategies are put in place.

You, as parent / carer will also be involved through initial discussions and regular updates including parents’ evenings.
Decisions will be made following discussions with SENCo, parents, class teacher, Teaching Assistant and appropriate outside agencies.

Meetings to discuss pupils and review IEPs will be held at least 3 times a year.

13. How are parents involved in the school? How can I be involved? How will you build on your equal partnerships with parent carers?

At St. Anne’s we want to work in partnership with parents and we welcome your involvement. We encourage you to attend the information meetings as well as the parent evening meetings. Your child’s teacher is your first point of contact and information can be passed to her or questions can be asked at the beginning or end of each day.
We have an active PTA and they always welcome new members. We also welcome parents to come and offer their help in school. There are also opportunities to become a parent governor.

14. Who can I contact for further information?

Your main point of contact would always be the class teacher and then following this you may need to speak to the SENCo-Inclusion Lead – Mrs. Karen Bye.
You can also contact the Family Link Advisor through the school office.
Our school website may also provide you with the information you require.

SEND Policy

Accessibility Plan

Disability Equality Scheme

Single Equality Policy